Map of The Village
Please take a moment to explore and discover the history of some of our featured buildings at the Little Log House Pioneer Village on our interactive map.
Little Log House Village Hall
The Little Log House Village Hall was built at the village in 1999 using the original rafters from St. Boniface Church. The rafters were too large to use in the scaled down replica of the Historic St. Boniface Church. The vaulted ceiling stands 42 feet tall and rafters support 10 chandeliers that were handcrafted over several years by the Minnesota Guild of Metalsmiths. The hall is used for over 60 wedding receptions and private events each year.
Many have been fascinated by pictures and tales of the Spiral Bridge that once spanned the Mississippi River in Hastings, Minnesota. The Spiral Bridge was originally built in 1895 and taken down in 1951. The bridge span that crossed the Yellow Bank River from 1893-1995 in Odessa, Minnesota was taken down and moved to the Little Log House Pioneer Village in 1995. Steve and Sylvia Bauer used the bridge span to build a replica of the former Hastings Spiral Bridge. used for military display during the Antique Power Show.
Nininger Town Hall
The Nininger Town Hall was originally located in Hastings, Minnesota and was built in 1858. It was used as a schoolhouse from 1859 to 1949. In 1977 and ’78 the town hall was restored and in 1980 was named to the National Register of Historic Places. It was moved to the village in 2005 and is used for military displays during the Antique Power Show.
Federal Dam Depot
The Federal Dam Depot originated in Federal Dam, Minnesota and was built in 1908 by the Soo Line Railroad. The Soo Line Railroad was shut down after World War II and the building was moved to an Indian Reservation with plans for renovation. The plans fell through and the depot was sold to a private individual from Boy River, Minnesota. The depot was moved again to Boy River with the idea of turning it into a restaurant, but those plans also fell through. The depot sat vacant until 1998 when it was moved to the Little Log House Pioneer Village.
Historic St. Boniface Church
The Historic St. Boniface Church originated in Hastings, Minnesota and was built in 1892. Its congregation used this church until 1995, when a larger church needed to be built. Instead of the planned demolition, Steve and Sylvia Bauer made an offer to move the church to the Little Log House Pioneer Village. In order to move the church, it needed to be taken down in multiple pieces. The church was rebuilt at the village as a replica to 2/3 the size of the original St. Boniface Church, was completed in July 1997 and is used for over 50 weddings each year.
The General Store was originally owned and operated by the Kasel family of Vermillion, Minnesota. It was built in 1898 in Vermilion and moved to the village in 2001. The building was restored back to its original state and during the Antique Power Show the store is fully stocked with goods and items that were sold during the time period it was open.
Four Corners saloon
The Four Corners Saloon was originally built in the 1920’s by a local man by the name of Doc Freirmuth and was called the 4-Corner Bar. It was located at the intersection of highways 20, 61 and 50, just 3 miles from the Little Log House Pioneer Village. It was closed in the late 1960’s and was a favorite meeting place for a lot of locals.
This historic house, known as the Hall House came from Zumbrota, Minnesota (30 miles south of the village). Before being moved to the Little Log House Pioneer Village in February of 2000, it was Zumbrota’s only residence listed on the National Historic Register. The house was cut in five sections and brought to the village on four flatbed trailers. It was designed and built by Dr. Orrin Hall in 1884. Dr. Hall and his brother were pioneer physicians who came from the east coast. He practiced in Zumbrota for 35 years and died in 1998.
Little Log House
The Little Log House was the very first building that was moved to the property at the Little Log House Pioneer Village. In 1987, Steve Bauer (owner of the village) was helping a neighbor tear down a log home in Goodhue County of Welch Township. During the demolition process, Steve discovered logs under the siding of the home that dated back to 1856 and ‘57. Instead of the planned demolish of the structure, Steve saved the log home and moved his farm which evolved into the Little Log House Pioneer Village.
Over the last 25 years, Sylvia Bauer’s flower gardens evolved from just a small amount of annuals and perennials to now thousands of flowers in bloom. Sylvia’s love and passion for gardening is apparent in every detail and area of her garden. During the Antique Power Show, attendees will want to stroll through her gardens and take in the beauty. Sylvia’s Garden has been featured in local and national media, including Country Living Magazine.